Sunday, June 29, 2008

Working Out At the Fitness Center




For the past several years, yers truly has more or less enjoyed an activity we resisted for all our days prior to October 0f 2002 -- physical exercising at the Charles Cole Hospital's Wellness Center located in the former Community Hospital building at Pine and Broad streets in our hometown. Don't recall exactly how many times we argued against signing up for such an activity, using the contention that it just doesn't make sense to pay for physical exercise when our home is located on a hillside immediately adjacent to heavily-wooded countryside. Why don't we just hike up and down the road leading to and from the homestead? Easier said than done, as the old saying puts it! Anyway, to make a long story shorter we just don't cotton to the idea of walking up and down several blocks of Katherine St. Ext. Some months during 2001 and 2002 the missus and this scribe used the high school corridors for our strolling site -- don't remember just why that activity got suspended. At any rate, for almost a half-dozen years now, this writer and other half have been paid patrons of the Wellness and Fitness Center. Got started on this procedure in the late weeks of 2002, when Mrs. Rambler was having PT there after the first of two knee replacements. Noting how effective the various types of exercise were in encouraging her recovery, yers truly decided it might make sense to sign up himself. As of today we report three times a week for an hour or more at the Center, and feel that it has been very beneficial. Additionally, the writer is gratified that the former Community Hospital building continues to provide health-related services to the hometown, especially in view of the concerted townwide campaign which brought the modernized facility into existence to replace the West Mill St. structure where this writer entered the world. All for this visit, as this scribe continues to struggle with this electronic keyboard after decades with that 1952 Royal portable!

9 comments:

Deb said...

Yes, and we (the chillins) are all proud of your perserverance! It benefits you in ways you probably don't even know. I am planning on spending some time there myself during this trip.

JoAnn said...

Good job, Chuck. Keep up the good work.

Love, Your better half

Kelley said...

I am proud of both of you for taking good care of yerselves. And Uncle Chuck, you haven't lost your touch with the writing. Don't worry; you'll get used to the new keyboard!

Unknown said...

Hi Chuck!

It's great to see you embracing the brave new world of technology! Well okay, maybe "embrace" is a tad strong; how about 'arm on shoulder'? ;-)

When Deb told me you were starting a blog, I was excited at the prospect of reading your perspective and remembrances of your years as a newspaper man in the northern tier. There is so much you could share that would be of interest to so many; I hope you make a go of it.

I still fondly remember how I and Frank Mazur, both fancying ourselves photojournalists, would vie to see who could get a B&W published in the RA, and how proud we would be when you would publish one. We'd always rub the other's nose in it. Those were great years.

BTW, I am envious of how 'fit' you look. I work out at a center here in AR and apparently all my efforts simply result in a heightened appetite! :-(

Best of luck with your blog; I'm looking forward to more.

terry

Chuck said...

Terry,

It is good to hear from you. I never knew you and Frank were vying for photo journalist positions. It is gratifying to know it meant that much to the both of you.

About the fit photos...Debbie probably retouched those photos.

The operation of the lap top keyboard is quite a challenge when I am used to the Royal portable. I never even made it to an IBM Selectric so each post takes considerable angst and more time than you know. If I could wrtie these out on my typewriter and scan them in, but that won't work.

I am planning a post on the anniversary of the 1942 flood. I know what I want to say, but as I have said this is tough. Maybe it will get easier.

Chuck

Dogs 'n Lions said...

I wish I could be up there with my Mrs. going to the Fitness Center this week with you guys. We always enjoy that. But alas, I remain here in the heat to slave away over piles of electrical schematics.

Thanks for doing the blog. Looking forward to more.

Dog&Lions

bruce said...

chuck: an "old" name: 316 arnold avenue. son of james l. barren (d. 1959). excellent article. born in 1942 by the way!!!!!

write me direct. my contact info on the web.

bruce barren

bruce said...

chuck: an "old" name: 316 arnold avenue. son of james l. barren (d. 1959). excellent article. born in 1942 by the way!!!!!

write me direct. my contact info on the web.

bruce barren

Mountain Man said...

Yes, I see you folks there (Wellness Center) several times a week.

Would enjoy hearing some more old tales about this area.

Just finished "A Journey in Time", now there is some neat info. about our early development.